Synchro Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Academy of the Future!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Similar topics
Top posters
vem123
Blackwing Names I_vote_lcapBlackwing Names I_voting_barBlackwing Names I_vote_rcap 
Winduct
Blackwing Names I_vote_lcapBlackwing Names I_voting_barBlackwing Names I_vote_rcap 
redgar
sinakis
Terraplant
IversonSt3
Stef
NoobSlayer13
Chaos714
Harper7000
Latest topics
» Chatbox
Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1by IDK Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:50 pm

» Harp
Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1by IDK Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:47 pm

» AGAIN HELLO!
Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1by Blazenjaden5 Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:53 am

» Archlord Kristya(Sychron's worst nightmare)
Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1by CrimsonClimax Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:31 pm

» HELLO
Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1by CrimsonClimax Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:27 pm

» Number 91: Thunder Spark Dragon
Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1by Chaos714 Sun May 27, 2012 2:14 am

» Card of the Week #49
Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1by xemnas night Sat May 26, 2012 8:31 am

» PM.
Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1by sinakis Tue May 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Affiliates

Blackwing Names

Go down 
+4
Kobayashi
IversonSt3
NoobSlayer13
DanceJonDance
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DanceJonDance
DanceJonDance

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:10 pm

When Yu-Gi-Oh first came out we had access to monsters that were mainly from the anime and their names were quite simple such as Dark Magician, Blue-Eyes White Dragon, Celtic Guardian, etc. Most of the names were almost literally a description of the monster. As the game progressed we were introduced with monsters that had more complex names. Some were named after mythological creaters, some others after ancient civilizations, and so on; Blackwings--My favorite Archtype--are no different. Blackwings as most of you know are a DARK winged-beast archtype, hence the name 'Blackwings.' The monsters are humanoid birds with most of them having black plumage somewhere on their bodies, and the most interesting thing about these guys is that they are named after different types of wind-related terms.

::Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor::
Blackwing Names 119px-Blackwing-VayutheEmblemofHonorANPR-EN-UR-1E
Vayu is named after after the Hindu deity Vāyu, who is the god of the wind. Vāyu was worshipped in ancient Hindu cultures as one of the great gods since he was in control of the wind, one of the four elements. My guess is that Vayu is named after this god because his effect works from the graveyard, the same way Vāyu controlled the wind from the heavens.

::Blackwing - Mistral the Silver Shield::
Blackwing Names 119px-Blackwing-MistraltheSilverShieldANPR-EN-C-1E
Mistral is named after the mistral, a strong and cold regional wind in France. The mistral has a major influence all along the Mediterranean coast of France, and often causes sudden storms in the Mediterranean between Corsica and the Balearic Islands. The wind the mistral creates can reach speeds of more than ninety kilometers an hour. Winds this strong would probably require some kind of shield to protect yourself against, and that is perhaps another reason Mistral was named the Silver Shield in addition to its 1800 defense.

::Blackwing -Gale the Whirlwind::
Blackwing Names 126px-Blackwing-GaletheWhirlwindGLD3-EN-GUR-LE
Gale is named after a strong wind that weather forecasters define as low as 28 knots (52 kilometers per hour) and as high as 90 knots (170 kilometers per hour). Forecasters usually issue gale warnings when winds of this strength are expected to hit a region. Gale the Whirlwind is one of the most beloved Blackwings because its effect could be devastating to opponents, much like a gale could be devastating to a town, and is perhaps the reason it was named after a gale.

::Blackwing - Bora the Spear::
Blackwing Names 127px-Blackwing-BoratheSpearGLD3-EN-C-LE
Bora is named after a norther to north-easter wind which passes through Croatia, Italy, Greece, and Turkey. The name bora derives from the Greek mythological figure Boreas who was the of the four chief Anemoi. The Anemoi were wind gods in Greek mythology and Boreas was the Greek god of the cold north and bringer of winter. Boreas was described as being very strong, and a short temper to match. Boreas did not have any weapons that resembled spears so the reason Bora is also deemed the Spear is most-likely due to its piercing effect.

::Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn & Ghibli the Searing Wind::
Blackwing Names 121px-Blackwing-GhiblitheSearingWindTSHD-EN-C-1EBlackwing Names 121px-Blackwing-SiroccotheDawnCRMS-EN-C-1E
Sirocco & Ghibli are both basically named after the same Mediterranean wind current that comes from the Sahara and reaches hurricane speed in North Africa and Southern Europe. Sirocco is the term used in Italy while Ghibli is the term used in North Africa which comes from the Arabic word qibli. I really couldn't find any relevance between the card effects. However, in the OCG Ghibli's name is the Hot Wind which is a common feature of the Sirocco.

There are several cards I left unmentioned like Blackwing - Blizzard the Far North since it is common sense to everyone what a blizzard is, and some of the less popular Blackwings. We've come a long way from monsters with simple names to monsters whose creators dedicated time and research into naming their creations. The next time you see a monster whose name is appealing to you try doing some research on its name to see what story that monster can tell you other than its effect.
Back to top Go down
NoobSlayer13
Amateur
Amateur
NoobSlayer13

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:43 pm

nice article but still you missed some parts but still its nice keep up the good work :)
Back to top Go down
http://mdacademy.darkbb.com/index.htm
DanceJonDance
DanceJonDance

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:58 pm

some parts like?
Back to top Go down
IversonSt3
Administrator
Administrator
IversonSt3

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 pm

I thing you forgot the Blackwing Support Cards, but it's very good! 9/10.

Keep it Up! :D
Back to top Go down
https://synchroduelacademy.darkbb.com
DanceJonDance
DanceJonDance

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:35 pm

Well blackwing support cards aren't really named after anything in particular. I guess icarus attack could be added since icarus is a mythological creature, but cards like: Black Whirlwind, Delta Crow, Raptor Wing Strike, etc. aren't really related to the theme i was going for in my article.
Back to top Go down
NoobSlayer13
Amateur
Amateur
NoobSlayer13

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:37 pm

you missed some blackwings that there are exist but they arent in kcvds...i know there more but i cant rembers their names but if you wanna find them go to DMG duel program and you can find them there oh 1 more think you should add and the synchros :)
Back to top Go down
DanceJonDance
DanceJonDance

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:40 pm

DanceJonDance wrote:
There are several cards I left unmentioned like Blackwing - Blizzard the Far North since it is common sense to everyone what a blizzard is, and some of the less popular Blackwings.
Back to top Go down
NoobSlayer13
Amateur
Amateur
NoobSlayer13

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:41 pm

oh i didnt noticed the last sentence soz :) what about the synchros?
Back to top Go down
DanceJonDance
DanceJonDance

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:52 pm

The synchros aren't named after any wind terms D: Armor Master, Armed Wing, and Silverwind is just a fancy way to say wind.
Back to top Go down
Kobayashi
Kobayashi

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:16 am

Good Job DJD 9/10
Back to top Go down
Winduct
Winduct

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:33 am

yeah hes right, some Blackwings arent named after anything, but i thought Gust the Backblast was named after something. you should do with more monsters. good job, interesting
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Winduct
DanceJonDance
DanceJonDance

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:22 am

Gust is named after gust? xD
Back to top Go down
vem123
zettaisha seigi
zettaisha seigi
vem123

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:46 am

Thanks for sharing this with us DJD ;) You got a +1rep from me.
You made me feel embarassed for not knowing about bora :/

Nice article, Keep it Up!
Back to top Go down
redgar
Administrator
Administrator
redgar

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:27 am

I think you forgot the best one out there. Shura! A real match winner. And Breeze could also be added.
Back to top Go down
Terraplant
Intermediate
Intermediate
Terraplant

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:00 am

Nice article and I agree with Redgar about Shura. About Breeze,I think that its Japanese name is Black Feather - Breeze the Gentle Wind,giving the description of a breeze.
Back to top Go down
DanceJonDance
DanceJonDance

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:30 pm

redgar wrote:
I think you forgot the best one out there. Shura! A real match winner. And Breeze could also be added.

I looked up Shura, but there was nothing wind related to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blackwing Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackwing Names   Blackwing Names Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Blackwing Names
Page 1 of 1